Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill®


Basic Eligibility:

  • Veteran MUST have served in the armed forces after July 1, 1985 and for two or three years of continuous service.

  • Veteran MUST have contributed to the Educational Fund for 12 months ($100 per month).

  • Veteran MUST have received an honorable discharge.

To Enroll:

The veteran must complete and return the following paperwork to UC Merced's Veteran Services Office:

  • Application for Educational Benefits: VA Form 22-1990

  • Copy of DD-214 (Member 4 Copy)

  • Copy of $600 buy-up, if applicable

  • EACH SEMESTER, the student must fill out a Veteran Enrollment Card and submit it to the Veteran Services Office.



ALL CHANGES to the veteran's schedule (adds, drops, class cancellations, and/or withdrawals) must be reported to the Veteran Services Office by the veteran.

ALL CHANGES to the students major or if transferring in from another school will require the veteran to complete and return VA Form 22-1995 to the Veteran Services Office.


If a veteran needs a tutor, they should contact UC Merced's Veteran Services Office.

  • Complete and return VA Form 22-1990t to the Veteran Services Office.

  • The veteran must be attending at least half-time.

  • Contact, negotiation of wages and pay is the veteran's responsibility.

  • The veteran is eligible to receive $100 per month, up to $600 per semester and up to $1200 total, for tutor-reimbursement expenses.

Contact information: 

UC Merced's Veteran Services Office: 209-228-2736

Veterans Administration Educational Office: 888-442-4551

Veterans Administration Direct Deposit Information: 888-442-4551