Skip to content

California Veterans Fee Waiver

Rufus planting a flagGeneral Overview

The California College Fee Waiver for Veteran Dependent waives mandatory system-wide tuition and fees at any California Community College, a California State University, or a University of California campus.  

Basic Eligibility


  • Have a parent who is a disabled veteran (zero percent or more disabled); or
  • Have a spouse or domestic partner who is service-connected (S/C) deceased or rated 100 percent S/C disabled.
  • Be a child earning less than $11,369 per year (student’s income, not parents’). Note: There is no income limit for a spouse, domestic partner or children of S/C deceased or 100 percent S/C veterans.
  • Attend a California Community College, California State University, or a University of California school.
  • Provide proof of the student's relationship to the veteran, such as a copy of a birth, marriage or domestic partnership certificate.

To Enroll

  • California veterans and dependents should contact their local County Veteran Affairs office to ascertain information regarding application procedures (pdf) and other related services. Once approved, the local county Veteran Affairs office will send an approval letter to both the institution and the student. 

Required Forms

  • Submit award letter you receive from the County VA Office to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official.


The California Veterans Fee Waiver ONLY covers tuition and student service fee.  This program does not cover campus-based fees, expense of books, parking or food and housing. 

The student needs to re-apply each academic year for the California Veteran Fee Waiver through their local county Veterans Affairs office.

 *Students whose parents are rated less than 100 percent by the Department of Veteran Affairs or who are also receiving Chapter 35 educational benefits, must turn in their previous years tax return or a letter from the Internal Revenue Service stating they were not required to file federal income taxes.

**Please be aware that the Financial Aid Office will coordinate your Cal Vet Fee Waiver with any other financial aid offered to ensure there are no conflicts with aid specifically designated to cover tuition and fees (e.g., Cal Grant) or impacts other need-based aid (e.g., Bobcat Grant). If you have questions, please contact our Students First Center by calling (209) 228-7178 or online at