The Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA) program provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents and spouses of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of veterans who died while active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.
Spouse, children of a veteran and/or service member who meets at least one of the following requirements:
Is determined to be permanently and totally disabled from service connected causes.
Is on active duty and is likely to be discharged with a permanent and total disability.
Died in service.
Died of service connected causes.
Is currently missing in action or caputured in the line of duty.
- The spouse/dependent must complete and return the following paperwork to the VA Regional Processing Office or apply online through the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.
Dependent's Application for VA Educational Assistance: VA Form 22-5490
Submit Certificate of Eligibility (received in the mail from the VA after processing application for benefits) to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official.
Each semester, the student must fill out a Veteran Enrollment Card and submit to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official.
Changes to Schedule
- All changes to the spouse/dependents schedule (major/minor, adds, drops, class cancellations, and/or withdrawals) must be reported to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official.
- If you are transferring in from another school you are required to complete and return VA Form 22-5495 to the VA Regional Processing Office.
If a spouse/dependent needs a tutor, they should apply for tuitorial assistance.
- Complete form VA Form 22-1990t
- Take form to your tutor to sign and date the application
- Take form to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official to sign and date the application
- Mail the completed form to VA Regional Processing Office after your tutoring is complete.
- The spouse/dependent must be attending at least half-time.
- Contact, negotiation of wages and pay is the spouse/dependent responsibility.
- The spouse/dependent is eligible to receive $100 per month, up to $600 per semester and up to $1200 total, for tutor-reimbursement expenses.
UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official
209-228-7641 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Veterans Administration Educational Office
Veterans Administration Direct Deposit Information