Skip to content

Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 Transfer of Benefits

FlagGeneral Overview

The Post 9/11 GI Bill®, effective August 1, 2009, allows Servicemembers to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouses or dependent children.  The request to transfer unused GI Bill® benefits to eligible dependents must be completed while serving as an active member of the Armed Forces.

Basic Eligibility


  • The Department of Defense (DoD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family.
  • Family members must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibilty Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS) and be eligible for benefits at the time of transfer to receive transferred benefits.

To Enroll

The dependent can apply for benefits through the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs after benefits have been transferred.

Required Forms

  1. Submit Certificate of Eligibilty (received in the mail from the VA after processing application for benefits) to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official.

  2. Each semester, the student will fill out a Veteran Enrollment Card and submit it to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official no later than 30 days after the start of the semester.

Changes to Schedule

  • All changes to the spouse/dependents schedule (major/minor, adds, drops, class cancellations, and/or withdrawals) must be reported to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official.
  • If you are transferring in from another school you are required to complete and return VA Form 22-5495 to the VA Regional Processing Office.


Contact Information

UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official
209-228-7641 |

Veterans Administration Educational Office

Veterans Administration Direct Deposit information


About the GI Bill®

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at