Skip to content Skip to navigation
See our Campus Ready site for the most up to date information about instruction.Campus ReadyCOVID Help

Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill®

Veterans with RufusGeneral Overview

The Post 9/11 GI Bill®, effective August 1, 2009, is the most comprehensive educational benefit package since the original GI Bill® was sgined into law.

Basic Eligibility


  • Served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001.

  • Honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001.

  • If you are interested in transferring your post 9/11 benefits, you can get more information at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill® to Spouse and Dependents webpage.

To Enroll

Veterans can apply for benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Required Forms

1. Submit Certificate of Eligibility (received in the mail from the VA after processing application for benefits) to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official.

2. Each semester, the veteran must fill out a Veteran Enrollment Card and submit it to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official.

Changes to Schedule

  • All changes to the veteran's schedule (major/minor, adds, drops, class cancellations, and/or withdrawals) must be reported to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official.
  • If you are transferring in from another school you are required to complete and return VA Form 22-1995 to the VA Regional Processing Office.


If a veteran needs a tutor, they should apply for tuitorial assistance.

  1. Complete form VA Form 22-1990t 
  2. Take form to your professor or instructor of the course for which tutoring was necessary to sign and date the application.
  3. Take form to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official to sign and date the application
  4. Mail the completed form to VA Regional Processing Office after your tutoring is complete.


  • The veteran must be attending at least half-time.
  • Contact, negotiation of wages and pay is the veteran's responsibility.
  • The veteran is eligible to receive $100 per month, up to $600 per semester and up to $1200 total, for tutor-reimbursement expenses.


    Contact Information

    UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official
    209-228-7641 |

    Veterans Administration Educational Office

    Veterans Administration Direct Deposit Information