The Montgomery GI Bill®-Selected Reserve program provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Maine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.
Member MUST be in drill status to use benefits.
Member MUST have a signed six-year contract after July 1, 1985.
Member MUST have completed 180 days of duty in the selected reserve or guard.
Member MUST have a GED or high school diploma.
- The veteran must complete and return the following paperwork to the VA Regional Processing Office or apply online through the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.
Application for Educational Benefits: VA Form 22-1990.
Copy of Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) can be obtained from member's unit.
Copy of Reserves/Guard Kicker paperwork.
1. Submit Certificate of Eligibility (received in the mail from the VA after processing application of benefits) to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official.
2. Each semester, the student must fill out a Veteran Enrollment Card and submit it to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official.
Changes to Schedule
- All changes to the veteran's schedule (major/minor, adds, drops, class cancellations, and/or withdrawals) must be reported to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official.
- If you are transferring in from another school you are required to complete and return VA Form 22-1995 to the VA Regional Processing Office.
If a veteran needs a tutor, they should apply for tuitorial assistance.
- Complete form VA Form 22-1990t
- Take form to your tutor to sign and date the application
- Take form to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official to sign and date the application
- Mail the completed form to VA Regional Processing Office after your tutoring is complete.
- The veteran must be attending at least half-time.
- Contact, negotiation of wages and pay is the veteran's responsibility.
- The veteran is eligible to receive $100 per month, up to $600 per semester and up to $1200 total, for tutor-reimbursement expenses.
About Call to Active Duty
See what to do if you are a member of the National Guard or Military Reserves and are called to active duty.
- View Call to Active Duty Procedures (pdf)
UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official
209-228-7641 | email@example.com
Veterans Administration Educational Office
Veterans Administration Direct Deposit Information
About the GI Bill®
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.