Skip to content

Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill®

Veterans at UC MercedGeneral Overview

The Montgomery GI Bill ®-Active Duty program--often known as Chapter 30, provides education benefits to Veterans and service members who have at least two years of active duty.

Basic Eligibility


  • Veteran MUST have served in the armed forces after July 1, 1985 and for two or three years of continuous service.

  • Veteran MUST have contributed to the Educational Fund for 12 months ($100 per month).

  • Veteran MUST have received an honorable discharge.

To Enroll

The veteran must complete and return the following paperwork to the VA Regional Processing Office or apply online through the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.

  1. Application for Educational Benefits: VA Form 22-1990

  2. Copy of DD-214 (Member 4 Copy)

  3. Copy of $600 buy-up, if applicable

Required Forms

  1. Submit Certificate of Eligibility (received in the mail from the VA after processing application of benefits) to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official.
  2. Each semester, the student must fill out a Veteran Enrollment Card and submit it to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official no later than 30 days after the start of the semester.

Changes to Schedule

  • All changes to the veteran's schedule (major/minor, adds, drops, class cancellations, and/or withdrawals) must be reported to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official.

  • If you are transferring in from another school you are required to complete and return VA Form 22-1995 to the VA Regional Processing Office.


If a veteran needs a tutor, they should apply for tuitorial assistance.

  1. Complete form VA Form 22-1990t 

  2. Take form to your tutor to sign and date the application

  3. Take form to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official to sign and date the application

  4. Mail the completed form to VA Regional Processing Office after your tutoring is complete.


  • The veteran must be attending at least half-time.

  • Contact, negotiation of wages and pay is the veteran's responsibility.

  • The veteran is eligible to receive $100 per month, up to $600 per semester and up to $1200 total, for tutor-reimbursement expenses.


Contact information

UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official
209-228-7641 |

Veterans Administration Educational Office

Veterans Administration Direct Deposit Information


About the GI Bill®

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at