This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.
Duty members who enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation.
The veteran MUST have received an honorable discharge.
Entitlement to services is established if the veteran is within his or her 12-year basic period of eligibility and has a 20 percent or greater service-connected disability rating and an employment handicap.
If the service-connected disability rating is less than 20 percent or if the veteran is beyond the 12-year basic period of eligibility, then a serious employment handicap must be found to establish entitlement to VR&E services.
As a result of the veteran's disability, vocational rehabilitation is required for gainful employment. For more information, contact the Vocational Rehabilitation program at 800-827-1000.
Apply for benefits through the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs website.
Your assigned VA case manager will complete a VA Form 22-1905 and forward it to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official.
All requests for personal reimbursements should be completed on a VA Form 28-1905M.
Each semester, the veteran must fill out a Veteran Enrollment Card and submit it to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official.
Changes to Schedule
- All changes to the veteran's schedule (major/minor, adds, drops, class cancellations, and/or withdrawals) must be reported to UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official.
- If you are transferring in from another school you are required to complete and return VA Form 22-1995 to the VA Regional Processing Office.
If a veteran needs a tutor, they should apply for tuitorial assistance.
- Complete form VA Form 22-1990t
- Take form to your tutor to sign and date the application
- Take form to Veteran Certifying Official to sign and date the application
- Mail the completed form to the VA Regional Processing Office after your tutoring is complete.
- The veteran must be attending at least half-time.
- Contact, negotiation of wages and pay is the veteran's responsibility.
- The veteran is eligible to receive $100 per month, up to $600 per semester and up to $1200 total, for tutor-reimbursement expenses.
UC Merced's Veteran Certifying Official
209-228-7641 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Veterans Administration Educational Office
Veterans Administration Direct Deposit information